Coronavirus - Shopping for Cooking at Home

Yes, I'm jumping on that bandwagon. The panic, hoarding, buy-milk-and-bread mania and social isolation. I am leaving alone--totally alone--the TP controversy, because, honestly, I just don't get it.

Photo by Hanson Lu on Unsplash
So you're supposed to stay at home for a while, the kids are out of school, you are working from home, which is great for avoiding contact with the Coronavirus, but you need to eat. So, the simple solution is to cook...at home...by yourself. And yet, I see the frowny face. I understand the look of confusion. I get it that you're used to picking up your lunch or having it delivered. I understand that you are not happy about having to cook your dinner. I am here to help. I have a list of the types of food products to purchase for versatility, ease of preparation and long shelf life. And in my next post, I'll share easy cooking ideas. BTW, when this prescribed "social isolation" has ended, you can still cook for yourself and your family...at least now and then. Smile! It's not that difficult, and you might end up enjoying yourself.
Photo by Lou Liebau on Unsplash

My food buying tips for a pandemic:

  1. If you're looking for convenience, buy frozen vegetables. And beans. Beans count as a starch and a vegetable. This tip is at the top because frozen doesn't spoil if you don't use it in a week, and it's also the best tasting option to fresh. But...you have to have freezer space. I always keep: mixed soup vegetables, okra, mixed chopped peppers and onions (as an easy soup base), Brussels sprouts, lima beans, French-style green beans, peas, artichoke hearts, chopped spinach, crowder peas, cream peas.
  2. If you don't have freezer space, buy a few canned items--beans (black, cannellini, lima), beets, artichokes, chicken and beef stock, milk, tomatoes and Rotel Original (tomatoes with chilies). Canned salmon, tuna and sardines go a long way--sandwiches, casseroles, salad or straight out of the can.
    I also keep canned oysters, octopus or squid and lots of anchovies for making Caesar salad dressing.
  3. Pantry staples last a long time and go a long way. I always have sugar, all-purpose flour, rice (Uncle Ben's, Brown Basmati, Jasmine, short-grain for risotto), pasta, barley, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda. 
  4. Produce? At a time such as this, I'm looking for what I use in just about everything (garlic and onions*) and what will last a long time--greens, carrots, celery, ginger, potatoes, cabbage, and hard squash like butternut (long shelf life and versatile). *keep in veg refrigerator drawer and they will last much, much longer than on your counter.
  5. Dairy: cheeses, milk, eggs--lots of eggs. Did I say eggs? They are so versatile.
  6. Grassfed organic ground beef in 1 lb packs have a longer expiration date and sustainably sourced wild-caught frozen shrimp come deveined and easy to peel bags. I can make soups, pasta sauces, burgers and meatballs with the ground beef and there are too many options to list for using the shrimp. I always keep ground beef, ground pork and shrimp in my freezer.
  7. I'm assuming that you always have red wine vinegar, white vinegar, vegetable oil or coconut oil and my go-to, extra-virgin olive oil, but if you don't, then stock up. They won't spoil.

What Else?
Yes, it's good to have bread, but I'll bet there's a loaded tortillas shelf when the sliced bread disappears. Tortillas are more versatile--quesadillas, tacos, sandwich wraps, fried and topped with honey and ricotta they can satisfy a sweet tooth. And, it seems, tortillas last forever.

Comments

Popular Posts