#FastFoodFriday THE Easiest Recipe Ever

Seriously, this is the fastest, easiest recipe ever. The hardest part is going to be getting the soil out of the greens. Today's #FastFoodFriday recipe comes to you courtesy of Golden Forest Farm, the only place locally that I can source hakurei turnips. And this is important because? Glad you asked.
A few years ago, I was introduced to these tiny turnips by Daniel Parson, a recent Clemson University graduate at the time, who was just getting into organic farming. These pretty turnips looked like radishes, which I love, so I was eager to try them. They were crisp and sweet. I was hooked. Daniel has moved on and now is on the faculty at Emory University's Oxford College Farm.
Eaten raw, hakurei turnips are sweet and somewhat fruity.
Fast forward to last week, when my friend Phyllis Nolan introduced me to Golden Forest Farm with their online ordering and payment system and free delivery. I logged on and found beautiful French breakfast radishes, which I ordered, and not far below them were my long-ago tasted but never forgotten turnips. I ordered two bunches. When I picked up my bag, the first thing I did was wash and eat one standing right there at the kitchen sink. Exactly what I remembered--the mild, sweet flavor, the delicate crunch--so I ate two more! Of course, they're also loaded with nutrition, according to the World Farmers Organization. They go on to say that the hakurei turnip was developed following World War II to aid with the food shortage that Japan was experiencing and that that the new vegetable provided a nutritional boost with ease of preparation.

Call them hakurei turnips, Japanese turnips, Tokyo turnips, white or salad turnips, they can be eaten raw, in a salad or lightly seared and steamed along with their greens. Roasting them amplifies their sweetness, and they're an excellent ingredient in slaws of all kinds.

Besides eating most of the first bunch raw, this is what I did to serve them for dinner with a simple roasted chicken. You can also eat them in the easiest of ways, directly over cooked rice. For a printable recipe, click here. Chop the greens, cut the turnips into small wedges, cook the greens in salted water, sear and brown the turnips, add the greens, served over fragrant rice and there's dinner!



Comments

Popular Posts