The Three-Minute Egg

I love a soft-boiled egg--actually two--for breakfast. If you ask any experienced cook or Google it online, you'll find any number of methods for making the perfect soft-boiled egg. But, is it perfect? Can perfect be defined? What I've come to realize is that it's so subjective that you cannot prepare that perfect egg until you've tried it a few times.

Two (almost) perfect soft-boiled eggs accompanied by cheese "wafers" for my low-carb diet

The Perfect Egg?
My idea of the perfect soft boiled egg is a fully cooked white and a yolk that's just beginning to firm up on the outside but still soft and oozy in the center. I love to dip toast into the yolk and engage in loud yummmmmm sound-making as the toast loaded with warm yolk dissolves in my appreciative mouth.

The Three-Minute Egg Method
My method for preparing this perfect egg is the three-minute method. Fill the pot with cold water, submerge two eggs in the water, bring to a boil and set the timer for three minutes. Once the timer goes off, remove the pot from the stove and run cold water over your eggs for about 20 seconds. Remove eggs to egg cups and cut off the top of each. All of this post-boiling business is to ensure that the eggs don't continue to cook. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and...you certainly know what to do after that.

Breakfast Dilemma Number One
Of course, even with my method for preparing the perfect soft-boiled egg, a few seconds here or a few seconds there can mean disaster. And what is the definition of "boil"? There's a gentle boil, there is full rolling boil. There is...you see my dilemma? This may help clear things up. I'll let you know later. For now, I'm off to find a thermometer.

Comments

Popular Posts