Cold and Spicy Sauce

Argentina is famous for the tango, and asado, which means grill or barbeque. Today's post is not about the tango. Today we focus on asado. Asado with Chimichurri, that pungent green sauce slathered on all grilled meats in the traditional Argentine kitchen. It's heavy on the garlic and parsley often with the addition of fresh oregano and pepper flakes for added zest.



My favorite way to use Chimichurri is over pan-seared flank steak.

I bring the steak out of the fridge about an hour before I need it and let it sit on a plate until it's closer to room temperature. I get my cast iron pan smoking hot. Then I season the steak with salt and pepper. I pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the pan and put the seasoned steak over that immediately. I leave the meat to sear and brown well before turning it to the other side to finish cooking it to a very rare temperature. You'll need a meat thermometer if you are not comfortable guessing. Once it's done, I remove the steak and let it rest for five or ten minutes.

This is an easy way of cooking, and you get a satisfying char without the time it takes to prep and fire up the grill. It is a bit messy, but it's easier to clean up the counter and stove than it is to clean the grill, especially in cold weather.

Next comes the slicing. I show you how this is done in the video below.



While the steak rests, I whip up the Chimichurri by whisking together all ingredients in a serving bowl. As I slice the meat, I place it in the bowl with the sauce. 

This is what you'll need. This is enough for a 2 lb flank steak.
4 large cloves of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar (red is preferable, but use the white if that's all you've got)
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt
You can also add about 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh oregano for a more authentic flavor


After tossing well to coat each slice, I arrange all of the slices neatly prior to setting on the table. A vegetable couscous or quinoa is all you need as a side to this remarkably flavorful dish.

Comments

Popular Posts