Cauliflower Steaks

Roasty, toasty and tasty,

Roasting cauliflower seems to have become an obsession. I understand this. It's such an easy way to cook an already delicious vegetable and it pairs well with just about anything. Last night I served it with a roasted spatchcocked chicken. On Serious Eats, the Food Lab folks show you how to spatchcock (or butterfly) a whole chicken. I like their method because they use the back to make a sauce for the cooked chicken. When I use this method, I keep the back--it's a favorite piece for me--and I don't need it for the sauce because I serve the chicken in all of its glorious simplicity--golden and crisp and juicy all at once.

Put the smaller pieces in the middle and larges "steaks" closest to the edge of the pan

To roast one head of cauliflower, wash it, remove any thick bits of the stalk and cut away the tough center. Slice into thick steaks by cutting the length of the cauliflower at one-and-a-half- to two-inch intervals. Place on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper and dust heavily with grated parmesan cheese. Toss everything to distribute oil and seasonings evenly and roast in the middle of a preheated 400F oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

Comments

Popular Posts