New Year: Begin With Order

A new year can mean new opportunities, a fresh start, a blank slate, another chance and so on. To me it means letting go of things that did not work in the old year and restarting projects that I didn't have time to complete. It means finding ways to give myself time (and space) to open up the flow of creativity again. Life comes with responsibilities, and sometimes they take over and fill our plates with too much of "have to dos" and no room for a few "want to dos."
Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash
In one of his books, philosopher Robert Grudin discusses the need for having a visually clean workspace. His thought is that, in order for creativity to flow, just as our heads must be cleared of unrelated ideas and thoughts, so, too, our physical surroundings must be cleared of excess; this opens up all channels for receiving the transmission of the new. I wrote about this back in 2014 and got over 18,000 views when I shared it on Google+. If you're interested, click on the link for more information.
Linen towels washed and ironed. Bringing order to the kitchen doesn't take much.
Today, I'm particularly interested in new creative opportunities related to my kitchen and creative endeavors born in that environment. To get my blank slate, my empty plate, my brand new canvas, I like to take the last few days of the year getting things in order: stove top clean and rubbed down with oil, cabinets in order, refrigerator emptied and reorganized (yes, I do that), kitchen towels washed and ironed and pots & pans washed to a lovely shine. I am particularly fond of my copper pots and pans, but they tarnish with use. Here's how they came into the new year. Maybe now I can move forward with new ideas, new bursts of creativity and new recipes to share with you.



How do you begin your new year?


Comments

Popular Posts