The New Old

The old saying, "Everything old is new again," is so true today, especially when it comes to advice about nutrition and health. Take, for example, the latest newest and greatest health trend, bone broth. While professionals will argue about its healing properties--not enough scientific studies--Jewish grandmothers have known about the healing power of "real" chicken soup for...well, for ever! That's scientific enough for me.

My Mexican Pho, which is made from bone broth
The NEW old way of making bone broth: I've made bone broth/stock for most of my life, having been taught by my mother and aunt who learned from their mothers and grandmothers. My preferred method is to use a crockpot, which allows for unsupervised simmering--low and slow--either overnight or during the workday, resulting in a nutritious and delicious broth.

My recipe: 6 large turkey necks, 2 large carrots, 3 stalks celery, 1 small onion, 1 clove garlic, salt, pepper and enough cold tap water to come almost to the top of a large crockpot. Set this on "low" and allow to simmer for several hours. Pour through a sieve into a large bowl, cover and refrigerate. Once the fat layer has hardened, spoon that out. A little fat is absolutely fine, so you don't have to be meticulous. I freeze this to use later, freezing the meat separately to use in soup with the broth or with other recipes.

I use the broth in 2 of my soup recipes: Greek Cabbage Roll Soup Avgolemono and my Mexican Pho. Stick around. I may share these recipes on a future post. #foodtease

Comments

Popular Posts