#FastFoodFriday Simple Succotash

"Sufferin' Succotash!" said Sylvester the Cat, the Merrie Melodies chaser of Tweety, that darned cute lemon yellow- colored canary who somehow got away. Poor Sylvester! With every episode, he failed to catch Tweety, and he'd always deliver the phrase Sufferin' Succotash with every failed attempt. Well, I want you to learn from my many failed attempts and make the most delicious and perfectly simple succotash recipe that you can customize with whatever is in season. Read on for details.
By Warner Brothers - Internet Archive, Public Domain,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9896575

Succotash is a lovely side dish to many grilled meats and to my favorite, seared and oven-finished thick-cut pork chops, but it can also be the star of the meal without any supporting actors. With the addition of seared shrimp or breakfast sausage, it can be as easy to prepare and as brilliantly customized as a salad.


I use fresh vegetables, but I have been known to substitute a quality frozen mix for ease of preparation. Usually it's a combination of corn, butter/lima beans, onion and tomatoes. Sometimes bacon is used. Most often it's made with butter. I tend to use olive oil and top it off with a bit of butter at the end. Other vegetables can be added--I've used green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, sliced okra--and I'vee been known to dump the leftovers onto a bowl of buttered pasta or toss them with boiled or roasted baby potatoes. You can even top a buttered baked potato with this stuff! It's just that versatile. This basic recipe for succotash is one of my favorites for a quick dinner. I hope it will become one of yours too.

For a printable recipe click here. The photo tutorial follows. Get creative and let me know what combinations you come up with.
Brown the sausage in a hot wok

Add red onion

Now stir in the vegetables (except okra, if using)

Add salt and pepper and toss well

Cover with a lid and cook five minutes

Dice and slice the finishing veggies



Add the finishing veggies and toss well for a minute or two

Ready for laptop eating or as a side to grilled fish, seared shrimp, pork chops...

Comments

Popular Posts