Just a Salad

But is it? In our house, when my stepchildren were growing up, they appreciated a good salad. Our granddaughters have always asked for my salads at family dinners. I have actually been called the salad queen or referred to as she-who-tosses-salads. Not kidding. Somehow, it all boils down to this: Dry lettuce. Season well with salt. Add punchy flavors. Vinaigrette. Toss gently but thoroughly. Taste and amend. If you're interested, I'm happy to share what I know.

So, a simple salad. I'm not talking about a few greens out of a bag and grocery store tomatoes with an assortment of bottled salad dressings. I've done that--we all have-- and it's fine, but not always. I'm referring to an assembly of good vegetables tossed with salt and herbs and a home-made dressing. And you may be thinking, "I don't have time for that nonsense," but you do. I'm not exceptional. I just care, and this salading work is not that difficult. Here's what I mean. This is the kind of salad that my mother used to pull together just prior to bringing the main dish to the table.

Half of a head of frisee lettuce or two heads of baby frisee (washed and spun dry) You know this lettuce. You've seen it in the little four-pack heads of baby lettuce in your local grocer's produce section. Occasionally, you'll have one that's greenish and one that's green-brown-reddish with fuller leaves. That's the best combination. Maybe you've wondered what to do with it? 


So, remove outer leaves, cut off root end, wash well and spin in a salad spinner. Or place in a clean dish towel, collect all corners and twist it in the air. Do this outside or in the garage or you'll get water droplets everywhere. Next, cut the lettuce into 2-inch pieces. Line them up, gauge two inches and chop. Just eyeball it. I'm not coming over to measure.

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Be generous.

Half a cup (or more) of chopped red onion. Sprinkle over the lettuce.

1/4 cup (or more)of crumbled feta cheese. Use blue cheese if you don't have feta. Distribute over the onion.

White vinegar. Yes, the sharply acidic white vinegar. Sprinkle onto the salad.

Extra-virgin olive oil. Drizzle over everything.

Now, the typical ratio for a vinaigrette is one part vinegar to two or three parts good olive oil. I prefer three. Honestly, though, I just sprinkle a large spoonful of vinegar onto the salad and follow up with 3 spoonfuls of olive oil. Not having to use a measuring cup and bring out a whisk and so on is appealing to me. This is how I learned to dress a salad, so it's still my preferred method. You do what makes you happy.




And just for fun, a few salad terms that you won't find in any dictionary. Maybe you can add to my list?

Saladry--the art of salading.

Salading--Assembling a salad. This can also express the eating of the salad.

Saladiere--A person who crafts delicious salads. Rhymes with sommelier.

Comments

Popular Posts