GrecoSoCo Shrimp & Grits

If you follow me on Instagram, I introduced you to GrecoSoCo a few months ago. It's my personal type of fusion cooking, combining the best of my Greek Heritage Cooking methods and my husband's traditional southern dishes. 

When I married my Southern husband, Dewey, our two cultures did not clash. We merged Greek Heritage Cooking and the traditional Southern Kitchen and GrecoSoCo was born. I'd like to acknowledge my brilliant and supercharged creative friend Jan Massey who came up with the name. I love it! She has a degree in Math and one in English, dammit, so if she corrects my grammar, you may see a shifting of commas and dashes and such...as if you care, right? Haha! Thanks, Jan!


Dewey grew up eating mostly fresh vegetables and greens. So did I, although I was born in Sparta, Greece. The main difference was how the vegetables and greens were prepared and what they were seasoned with. For example, in my husband's family kitchen, while greens were simmered slowly all day with a piece of sidemeat, in my Greek home we stewed the greens with tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, and sometimes we just boiled them rapidly and dressed them with lemon juice and olive oil.

Today I'm sharing with you an example of a GrecoSoCo dish that you may recognize. The name Shrimp & Grits is on just about every restaurant menu throughout the South, and I've prepared it in the traditional manner. Last Sunday I prepared it GrecoSoCo style, and it was unbelievably easy. For a printable recipe, click here. For a visual of what I'm talking about, follow along below.
A SHOUTOUT TO Geechie Boy Mill for the fabulous Jimmy Red Corn Grits. Move over polenta!









Comments

  1. Made this recipe last night (for Dewey and Despina as guests) and it really does take shrimp and grits to a whole new level. This recipe will take a place amongst my “frequently prepared” meals - for guests as well as just for ourselves! Fresh flavours and uncomplicated preparation! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this recipe last night (for Dewey and Despina as guests) and it really does take shrimp and grits to a whole new level. This recipe will take a place amongst my “frequently prepared” meals - for guests as well as just for ourselves! Fresh flavours and uncomplicated preparation! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for cooking this recipe. And I so appreciate your comments!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts