Good Cooking

I don't like gourmet cooking or this cooking or that cooking. I like good cooking.   
James Beard
Frittata--just another omelet.
Good Cook Cooking: Nothing pretentious. Good ingredients. Good technique. Let the fresh flavor of the ingredients speak to your mouth. It's the kind of cooking that your mother, your father, your aunt, your grandmother, or even your great-grandmother did just about every day in their home kitchens. It's how my husband and I eat. This is the basis for my cooking coaching and instruction business. I find that it's best if you let the ingredients do their thing in your pan or pot or grill. This is the essence of Greek Heritage Cooking and the philosophy behind all of the recipes that I develop.
A few fresh stewed vegetables, but, OH, the flavor!
Gook Cooker: This is you; it's me. It's all of the people who follow my blog and my Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts. And it's all of the people who have attended my cooking classes or called on me to be their cooking coach as they begin their cooking journey or try a new direction or technique. We are the Good Cookers. We know the basics, we try a few new things here and there, but in the end, we are back home pulling together a beautiful salad full of nutrition and glorious flavor combinations. Sometimes we have time for the Good Cook Cooking of our heritage. For me it's traditional Greek. For Elle Simone Scott it's her grandmother's pound cake. For Nermine Mitry-Mansour, it's roasted sea bass, one of many traditional recipes of her native Alexandria, Egypt. For chef Sean Brock and his mother, Renee, it may be chicken and dumplings, one of many that they talk about in one of my favorite episodes of the series,  The Mind of a Chef.

A young chef adds and adds and adds to the plate. As you get older, you start to take away.

Jacques Pepin

Beets. Avocados. Dressing. Good Cooking!

Cooking and Coaching in the Time of COVID: I'm a Good Cooker, and I'm making a commitment today. To you. To everyone who's interested in becoming a Good Cooker too. I will share a few online cooking classes with you soon. I am also happy to say that I'm offering free online coaching for a short period of time. I'd like to have in-person coaching and classes, but it may be a while before any of us can gather comfortably around a kitchen stove, so I want to keep the #GoodCooker movement alive and well, and all of you who are interested, healthy and well-fed. Will you join me?
Communicate: If you're serious about becoming a Good Cooker, send me an email with this in the subject line, #GoodCooker. Let me know what you'd like for me to cook online and send me your questions.
An updated traditional Greek breakfast dish.

Comments

Popular Posts