Just for Kicks--My Pandemic Folly

Just for kicks! As I attempt to navigate my way through life during the miasma of pandemic prevention, guess what? A novel way to drink coffee!
Don't fuss. That's a fully compostable paper straw.

Coffee is a thing for me; it goes beyond waking up in the morning and the anti-social socialization of hanging out at a coffee shop for free wi-fi. It's a piece of my Despina Panagakos Yeargin history, so much so that I may have to add it to my bio! I've even written three poems about coffee. As young girls, my sister, Antonia, and I would relish those Greek coffee time moments when our parents would make Greek coffee (a.k.a Turkish coffee, but don't say that to a Greek) and sit down with a friend or neighbor to catch their breath and catch up on news (sometimes a.k.a. gossip). It's a huge tradition in Greece, and it migrated with us when we migrated to Australia and then to the U.S.

A wintertime treat was when our mother would whip up a mixture of one egg yok, instant coffee and sugar then combine the thick concoction with hot milk. (My sister swears that it was a bit of brandy and not coffee, but she's younger than me...her brain had not formed fully at that time, which is why her memory is all wrong.)

It wasn't until my adult years that I learned about Frappe, the Greek invention of combining a frothy, often thick, instant Nescafe, sugar and water combo with cold milk for a refreshing pick-me-up at any neighborhood kafeneio (coffee shop). But I didn't try the iced coffee beverage until I visited Greece with my husband in 2018.

Strong! It was strong, and you had to wait until the ice melted and diluted the coffee essence a bit before taking your second sip, but refreshing it was! And speaking of the kafeneio, you cannot walk two blocks without finding one, almost always with a few tables and chairs outside and the iconic scene of men drinking coffee, discussing current affairs, debating about it all while playing Backgammon.
By Florival fr - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1083138

Today, I found myself going through Instagram posts and I came across a very sexy photo of some kind of coffee drink. Where have I been? Oh, yes, self-quarantined! If you google or search Instagram for the hashtag #Dalgonacoffee , you, too, will find over 222,000 posts on this sexy and uplifting coffee drink...and that number is from the Instagram search alone! And people are getting creative turning this drink into desserts made with Oreo cookies or just crumbling the cookies on top of the pillowy puff of coffeeness. <----New word.

So, how do you make this Dalgona coffee thing? Here's what I did, following all appropriate research and recipe development protocol (a.k.a. Googling). RECIPE: Fill a tall glass with ice and pour cold milk (or milk substitute) three-quarters of the way full. Top off with the following mix after you've mixed it to a rich, voluminous, creamy lushness: 2 tablespoons instant coffee, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons hot water. Stir and sip it slowly--it's a ticking coffee time bomb. Or, garnish with any combination of crumbled cookies, toasted ground almonds, chocolate shavings, caramel sauce, etc. AND you can also add a nip or two of spiced rum or a nice bourbon to give it an extra adults-only touch. Who said, gilding the lily?
Normally I'm not so messy, but I was a bit excited!

Comments

Popular Posts