Beet and Avocado Salad

Beets are said to dispense nutritional magic. For me, they taste like the earth. I've been known to say they taste like dirt! Hey, for me, that's a good thing.

Avocados are definitely magic in my book. They taste so creamy and naughty, but they give so much in healthy doses of health magic. Read more here.

So, how can you do more with these two superfoods? Make a salad, of course! Recently I needed a side salad and looked in my refrigerator. Beets and avocados. But what to do with them? Well, here's what I came up with. My husband and I loved it and made happy plates for lunch

I'm thinking that if you eat this salad under a tree in the sun-dappled light, it may provide you with a healing respite from the chaos. It's worth trying.

I'd love to see you take my basic recipe and change up the dressing. See what you can come up with. If you send it to me, I'll test it and post it here on the blog.



Ingredients:
3 red beets, peeled and cut into thin wedges
1 avocado, peeled, stoned and cut into thin wedges
3 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
For the dressing:
Juice of one lemon
Zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/4  to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove of garlic, pressed or peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons of grated or finely chopped fresh ginger
2 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Instructions
Cook the beets by steaming or boiling until they're soft but still quite firm. Drain and set aside to cool a bit.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, soy, salt, ginger, garlic and olive oil. Stir in green onion, zest and cilantro.
Put the vegetables in a serving dish, sprinkle with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper.
Toss beets and avocado with the dressing, top with some of the toasted sesame and serve while the beets are still warm. Can also be served when the beets have cooled.
Another option would be to put an avocado half in a bowl, top it with the dressed beets and drizzle more of the dressing on top. Yum, yum and yum!!!

Comments

Popular Posts